Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bright Eyes Wake Up

I'm not really up on what people are into, I don't follow the press. I can safely say that suburban white-guy guitar grunge rock has been tired since people called it that. And if that's what people are reacting against, then I'm all for it, because it's really not that interesting.
My take on the music business in general: I think there's a real problem happening right now and it's the fact that the whole business has boiled down to a handful of large, multi-national corporations that are struggling to get teen-agers to part with their money in their direction.
There's way too much bad music out there these days. I think people are getting sick of buying music that doesn't mean anything to them. Unfortunately, popular music is being reduced to a backdrop or as an accessory when you're buying clothes at the Gap. It's like a handbag or fingernail polish; music has been reduced to something that's meaningless. It's a real shame, but maybe it needs to be destroyed so those of us who take it seriously can find another way to go about our business. Because the music business as it exists right now is a pretty unattractive proposition.

Bob Mould

No comments: